Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Spotlight : Charleston, South Carolina




"I'm going back to Charleston, back where I belong."
-Rhett Butler, Gone with the Wind


Charleston: you're going up on the proverbial pedestal today! But you've earned it fair and square. Charleston was recently awarded Reader's Choice #1 City in the U.S. by Conde Nast for the second year in a row. Through this Thursday, vote for Charleston as Southern Living's "The South's Tastiest Town" (Greenville and Austin are also a contenders... rock the vote, family).

I keep saying I predict a Top Chef Charleston because it is a tasty treat for all the senses and producers would have so much to work with-- Sight: mossy trees. Sound: horses clopping on cobblestone. Smell: salty air. Touch: sandy toes. Taste: I could go on for days. Head Judge, Tom Colicchio, is consultant to Kiawah Island Club's Voysey's. This season, Executive Chef of Charleston's Husk and  McCrady's, Sean Brock, was a guest judge on Episode 14 of Top Chef and word is he is getting chummy with Anthony Bourdain. I can feel it, it's coming.

A tip of the hat to you, Mr. Brock.

Everyone loves Charleston. I love it, you love it, we all love it. Charleston satisfies on all ends of the spectrum. Spend the day at the beach, drop 20 bucks beach-side at Taco Boy or Coconut Joe's, crash on a friend's couch and you're good to go. Parents in town (wink face)? Shop King Street, walk along the Battery, then go see Chef Doyle at Poogan's Porch. Parents are less likely to go along with the sleeping arrangements in scenario one, so stay at the Market Pavilion Hotel and invite friends to meet you at their rooftop pool bar for a drink.

Spend a day, spend a week, move there. Charleston has a beach, a restaurant and an experience for everyone. No, no I could never (like... ever) spotlight Charleston in one measly post, but if I had to play favorites...

"Rainbow Row" by Virginia Fouche Bolton,
one of the most iconic scenes of the city.

Poogan's Porch Restaurant.
Order the pimento cheese fritters
as soon as you cross the threshold
and not a moment later.

...and Poogan :)

 
Shopping on King Street.
Boutiques to antiques.


A woman making and selling sweetgrass baskets outside the
City Market. Sweetgrass baskets were first made by Lowcountry
slaves to collect rice and cotton in plantation fields.
Today, they are more a work of art
and can be looked at as a status symbol...


This big boy, 24"W x 36"H, sells for $24,000.
That's 24 with three zero's.

Market Pavilion Hotel's rooftop pool and bar.
This is... how you say... "perfection"?

Coconut Joe's Beach Bar & Grill on Isle of Palms.
I can't understand why their Jamaican wrap is so good.
I suppose it is the pineapple salsa and cilantro mayo.


A performance during the annual Spoleto Festival in the Spring.


One of my favorite views.
No, not the chardonnay (well, maybe the chardonnay...).
View of the United States Custom House
across the marsh from the Fleet Landing Restaurant.

So, Charleston my love, keep on doing what you're doing. You do it so beautifully.

See you soon,
Em

1 comment:

  1. Though I have only known you for 9 years since we first met, you have become one of my all time favorites. I expect to spend more time with you and get to know you better in the years ahead.
    Emmie, thank you for introducing me to this wonderful place.
    Dad

    ReplyDelete